Catskill Art Society
Livingston Manor, NY
The Catskill Art Society (CAS) seeks a visionary and driven Executive Director with a successful background in leadership and fundraising, who will partner with the Board of Directors to achieve the artistic and organizational goals of the company and steward its mission.
This position oversees daily operations, strategy, budgeting, and an ongoing capital project. This position collaborates with a lean staff of part-time employees and consultants, and manages a dedicated group of volunteers as the organization’s only full-time staff member. This position supervises the part-time Gallery Assistant. The Executive Director reports to the Board of Directors.
The Catskill Art Society is a non-profit organization cultivating public interest, participation, and enjoyment of the arts. Through its multi-arts center, CAS explores contemporary art and facilitates creative and professional development for established and emerging artists. CAS acts as a cultural, educational, and economic anchor for the local community and the region at large.
1) Development, including individual giving, membership, government/corporate/foundation grants, and special event fundraising, from current and prospective sources, for general and program support. The organization also is in the middle of a capital campaign to renovate the second floor of its flagship facility, the CAS Arts Center, to accommodate new high-profile visual art exhibitions and expanded performance programming.
2) Planning and producing a year-round calendar of exhibitions, concerts, readings, screenings, outdoor events, panels, and classes across multiple venues. Working with outside curators, other arts organizations, and performing artists to select high-quality programming that appeals to a broad cross-section of audiences: longtime residents, weekend residents, a growing population of younger residents, and visitors.
3) Board relations: engaging new and current Board members to support initiatives with regard to policy, strategic planning, fundraising, fiduciary oversight, and committee functions.
4) Engaging audiences, artists, and funders via institutional marketing, innovative outreach, cooperative partnerships, and stakeholder relations.
5) General administration, operations, installation, and upkeep of the CAS Arts Center and the Laundry King facilities. Financial management and reporting in collaboration with the bookkeeper and the Board’s Treasurer.
6) Publicly representing the organization, both internally and externally, as a spokesperson for CAS and an advocate for the arts.
Candidates should have at least three years of management experience with a non-profit arts institution. S/he must demonstrate a collaborative, inclusive, hands-on management style that addresses the collective needs of many distinctive stakeholders. S/he must be able to manage multiple priorities, resourcefully seek out support, and motivate him/herself and others to set and meet goals.
The successful candidate must be exceptionally well-organized, focused, entrepreneurial, diplomatic, community-minded, and detail-oriented. S/he must be a strategic thinker, a passionate self-starter, a conscientious relationship builder, and an inspiring leader who can comprise diverse points-of-view into a cohesive vision for the organization’s future.
Essential skills include: excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication; mastery of Microsoft Office, social media, email marketing, database systems, and basic digital image editing; comprehension of non-profit policy, accounting, and grant writing; and a deep, broad understanding of and appreciation for contemporary visual and performing arts.
Salary and Benefits:
The position is full-time and requires year-round residency in the Catskills region. Salary is commensurate with experience. Annual benefits include paid vacation and sick leave, flex time for major holidays, and health benefits. Weekend work is required on a regular basis with days off in mid-week.
Qualified candidates are invited to apply by sending a resume, cover letter, and contact information for three references to email@example.com with the subject line “Executive Director Application.”
Applications will be accepted through April 21, 2017. Sorry, no phone calls. CAS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.